Sunday 22 August 2010

My back hurts!

After the wildlife extravaganza I got down to work. This effectively what the end result of an afternoon in the garden produces. And filling 10 bags of compost.

The raised bed on the left has cheap topsoil in the bottom third, them load in the middle third and 2" of mushroom compost in the top. Turning the lot makes the soil look like decent stuff. But it won't be 'till next year and the first harvest until I see if it's good for growing veggies.

The middle bit with the plant pots in is shaded 'cos south is to the right of the picture. But it gets evening sun so I'm hoping stuff will grow there - sweet peas, something climbing - elderflowers, perhaps??? Ideas, anyone?

The right hand bit I covered with compost today - Again, I', hoping it'll be able to grow vwggies here - it's went facing, so only gets sun in the late afternoon, as I've 2 mature Oak trees to the south of me which shade the garden during the middle of the day.

The path up the middle is all bark chippings - It's nice and soft, and with a membrane underneath it it should be nice and clean to walk on and at the end of the year should provide a load of nice mulch!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment